To install Acquia Dev Desktop and an initial default website, complete the following steps:
- Download Acquia Dev Desktop from the Acquia Downloads page. There are four downloads to choose from, including Acquia Drupal 6 and Acquia Drupal 7 versions for each of Windows and Mac OS. The Acquia Drupal 6 and Acquia Drupal 7 versions are identical except for the version of Drupal that is included in the download. You can use either version to import an existing Drupal 6 or Drupal 7 website.
- Start the installation process. To do this, use the method based on your operating system:
- Inspect each installation window, and after you provide any requested information, click Next.
- Windows-only: If you want your site to be able to send email, select XMail server on the Select components page, and then click Next.
The XMail server is a full-featured email server, and it allows sites hosted in Dev Desktop to send email.
- On the Choose install locations page, select the directory in which to install Dev Desktop, as well as the directory for the files associated with your websites, and then click Next.
- On the Port settings page, you can define alternate ports to access the Apache web server and MySQL database server if the standard ports conflict with other applications on your web server. After you verify the port values, click Next.
- On the Drupal settings page, enter the following information:
- Site name The name of your initial website.
- Username and Password Keep a record of these login credentials. They will be the login credentials you need to log in as user 1 on your new locally-hosted website.
- E-mail A working email address. If your local site has access to the internet, you can reset your account password using this email account.
- Click Next.
- Complete the installation. Note that the installation process can take several minutes to complete.
Windows-only Note: Near the end of the Dev Desktop installation process, Windows might display Windows security alerts regarding components of Dev Desktop. If you want to access websites created on this computer from the Internet or your network, allow access and unblock the Windows Firewall. Alternatively, you can allow the Windows Firewall to continue to block the application if required by your security needs, or you do not need to access your website from outside of your computer.
After the installation completes, you can start the Acquia Dev Desktop by selecting the "Launch" checkbox, and then clicking Finish. If you encounter problems during the installation process, see the Acquia Dev Desktop FAQ for troubleshooting information.
Note: The Acquia Dev Desktop supports multiple Drupal sites on your local computer. For more information, see Adding additional local sites.
Starting the Dev Desktop Control Panel
The Acquia Dev Desktop Control Panel enables you to stop and start the XAMP services, as well as create and configure the website.
To start the Control Panel, use the procedure for your operating system:
- •Windows: From the Start menu, select All Programs > Acquia Dev Desktop > Control panel.
- Mac: Double-click the Control Panel application /Applications/Acquia Drupal/AcquiaDrupalControlPanel.app.